10th September 2020 – Job Vacancy: Garden Assistant
Custom Food Lab is looking for an Assistant Gardener to join our Locavore Growing Project. Working in our Locavore Garden at Martello Primary School, we are building a community garden from scratch, focussing on food growing.
We practice No-Dig, Wildlife friendly, Permaculture growing methods. And our motto is ‘Don’t kill the weeds – EAT THEM!’
Your duties may include: –
- Hedge cutting/Pruning from ground and using ladders
- Woodland path maintenance
- Basic DIY (for maintenance of sheds, pergola etc.) Some woodwork and other materials construction for garden creations (building mud kitchen / hedgehog house)
- Digging / Planting trees, shrubs and vegetables / Harvesting / Seed Collection / Propagation / Ethical Pest Control / Organic Fertiliser Application / Selective Weeding and watering
- Working alongside volunteers
- Any other reasonable tasks requested by the Locavore Garden Leader
- Knowledge of or sincere interest in gardening and plants including growing vegetables and recognising some native wildflowers.
- Previous experience of working with garden and DIY tools would be of benefit, such as a steady hand for sawing wood or using a mallet.
- Able to complete physical tasks safely such as manual handling and digging.
- Having own vehicle would be an advantage for collecting local donations to the community garden.
As this is a community project, having a community spirit is desirable to this role. When working alongside our volunteers, you will be expected to be positive, encouraging and professional at all times. This role will consist of working in a team and also working independently (with supervision). We don’t expect you to have any specific knowledge or training when you start, but you will need to be keen to learn and take on board training and advice.
We are looking for someone who is trustworthy and reliable, self motivated and focused, who loves to be outdoors and has an interest in wildlife and nature.
- £9 per hour.
- Part time, 1 day a week (spread over 1 or 2 days)
- Hours/days flexible, to be agreed with Locavore Garden Leader.
- 3 month probationary period, continuing contract subject to funding.
- This is an outdoor role, the applicant must be prepared to work in all weather conditions. Protective safety wear will be provided and shelter is available.
- Must be willing to undertake DBS check and safeguarding/ Health and Safety training as part of onboarding procedures. As well as adhering to our ethical working practices.
- Covid safe working procedures are in place.
- We are not looking for any specific experience or training, as this job itself covers a wide range of skills. Any relevant experience will be taken into account.
Application deadline: 30th September 2020
Please email to email@example.com
Please apply with CV and a letter explaining why you are suitable for this role. Please also provide 2 referees for references should your application be successful.
Applicants must be able bodied and in good health as this is a physically demanding role. We can however consider and support those with learning or mental health difficulties as long as the applicant is able to work with hand tools safely and competently and follow instructions.
This role is subject to a DBS check, so please notify us in your application if there are any criminal convictions or cautions we need to be aware of.
We believe that poor behaviour on the part of businesses disproportionately hurts the most marginalised people in society, including people of colour, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQ people. We believe that these communities must be centred in the work we do – not least because they are the same communities who are most affected by food insecurity, so we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalised communities.