31st July 2021 – The Locavore Growing Project is a Holiday Activities and Food Partner
We are really proud to be able to deliver an amazing programme of outdoor learning for children in Folkestone during August through the LOCAVORE GROWING PROJECT. Thanks to the Holiday Activities and Food Programme, we have been able to offer free places for children eligible for free school meals and we can’t wait to get started.
Our Garden Holiday Club will include:
- Healthy lunches supplied daily by TOUCHBASE CATERING and snacks from NIM’S FRUIT CRISPS
- storytelling sessions focussing on the diverse practices and cultures of growing, cooking and sharing food, led by BOOKS FOR CHANGE.
- Forest school inspired “WILDLINGS” sessions led by Charlene Jones, including sowing seeds, campfire fun and garden crafts
- Bushcraft and food growing with Rebecca Rendell
- Family nature connection and wellbeing sessions each Friday with Emma Owen of MINDFULLY PRESENT
- Making ceramic vessels with Jules Degroot and using plants to print patterns on cloth with Alison Neighbour
- Exploring sound in the garden with sound therapist Andre Braga Verissimo
- Passing on food knowledge through animated films with YOUNG ANIMATORS
- Learning about wild growing food, foraging and garden-to-table cooking with Cherry Truluck
- A celebratory closing feast, complete with a drumming workshop with Kevin Richardson.
The whole holiday club will be underpinned by a theme of sharing food knowledge. All the children will have recipe cards to take home and gather family recipes to contribute to FEEDING FOLKESTONE – a community cookbook . They will also be able to take home recipes by the Locavore team that use seasonal food from the Locavore Community Garden.